It is the beginning of the last month of the year and I’m starting to review 2013 accomplishments and see what I would like to do for 2014. Today’s blog will focus on geocaching goals. 2013 proved to be my most active year and by far and it came after a hiatus (no caching) for all of 2012. In a previous log HERE, I talk about my absence and fresh look at geocaching. So in many ways, if I continue on the pace I’m at, 2014 might even be a busier, more productive year. However, I’m still waiting to see if I burn out at some point, or have to put geocaching on the back burner for higher life priorities.
So, on to 2014. This year I would like to have similar or the same goals as last year with a slight bump. There are some that aren’t relevant this time around, like my “get XYZ before moving from Maryland”. 2014 I think means I’ll officially be moving 100% to Florida (still keep a residence in Maryland). There is also some unlikely goals like trying to fill out the entire grid of cache difficulty/terrain system.
Here is a short list of some of the goals (and how I might revise them for 2014):
- Double cache finds (280 for 2013, 560+ for 2014)
- Cache for 15 or more days in one month (20 for 2014)
- Do a streak of consecutive days greater than (5, 2013; 10 for 2014)
- Find 10 or more caches in one day (25 non-power trail, 75 power trail for 2014).
- Find 45 or more caches in one month (100 for 2014)
- Increase Calender Day grid from 104 to 150 days with a find (175+/- to 225 in 2014)
- Change most finds from the month of April to a different month (still April, will carry over to 2014)
- Change most finds on Saturday to another day (now Sunday, change to a day other than Sunday or Saturday for 2014).
- Add finds in the following states NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, OK, KS, NE, CO, NM, NY, NJ. (same minus NC, SC, GA which I got in 2013)
- Add 2 Letterbox caches (two more for 2014)
- Add 2 Wherigo caches (two more for 2014)
- add 2 Webcam caches (two more for 2014)
- Add 1 uknown/mystery cache (carry over, never added one for 2013)
- Add 5 Earthcaches (carry over, never found on for 2013)
- Add 5 virtuals (only one found, carry over)
- add 5 event/mega event caches (got 8, so add 15 events for 2014)
- add 5 CITO events (carry over, only 1 attended/added).
- Add 10 multi-caches (carry over, none found in 2013)
- All caches within 2 miles (from Maryland, transfer to Florida for 2014)
- All traditional caches within 5 miles (from Maryland, transfer to Florida for 2014)
- Get one more FTF in Maryland one in Florida (none, revise to 2 FTFs in Florida)
- Find oldest cache in Maryland (change to oldest in Hillsborough, Pinellas, Manatee, Pasco counties in Florida.
After moving relocating for partial Florida living in June, the following was added to goals
- Place 50 caches / 20 unique + 30 Power Trail (will carry over, only 1 cache placed, helped a buddy place about 10)
- Place caches at the corners of Hillsborough County, FL (SW corner complete, SE corner already occupied, finish for 2014)
- Place a Challenge Cache near the center of Hillsborough Co. in relation to the corner caches.
I haven’t yet thought too much about additional areas to add (or subtract) to the goals. Many have overlap in that the idea is to just cache, cache, cache. I’m sure I’ll look at things like:
- Find all traditional caches south of Central Av. in Pinellas County.
- Find a cache in at least 15 Florida Counties (including the 5 or 6 already done).
- Do as many power trails as possible.
- Hold more events, since I had a good time hosting the Little Harbor event
- Find the southern most and eastern most Florida caches (Florida Keys south, Miami Beach east).
Also finally want to get on GSAK even if only for statistical pages and presentations and aid in my current hand listings and statistics.
Later I’ll look at more at the results of 2013. Still have a few weeks before getting into it deep. Plus, I want to see if I can post excel worksheets into this blog.